Saturday, March 10, 2007

WWRRPD?

In the last few years I have been increasingly (almost exponentially) reading amusing non-fiction books that deal with deeper meanings of what I already know or what happens to things when I am not around. These books include but are nnot limited to United States of Wal-Mart, And God Said What?, Garbage Land, A People's History of the United States (Still not finished, it is taking a long time to process. Plus it is really damn long), and The Omnivore's Dilemma. These books have been feeding the part of my personality that hates to be ignorant and taken advantage of. Every few months I ask myself "Why do I do what I do?" Why should I believe in God? Why wouldn't I believe in God? Why eat meat? Why not eat some meat? Is it even worth it to recycle and give money to environmental charities? What retailers do I really want to hand my money to? Do I need to buy more stuff at all?

The questions are limited only by my attention span (Should I buy a more fuel effecient car this year? Hey! House MD is on! Rockin'!) and courage to really examine myself (Can I really accept gaining weight? Am I proud of what I see in the mirror? Maybe I should just look away). Asking myself these questions has been more important to me as I grow up, I can see the consequences of my actions and understand that I have a choice to be an ignorant fucktard and an enlightened consumer. I can be better. I can be more than what society expects of me.

You know what I think would really help society? If we all emulated Rowdy Roddy Piper. Put the glasses on! PUT 'EM ON! Otherwise we sleep, they live. The more I read about how things are versus how I think things should be, the sicker I feel. Everyday low prices are great, but they come at a cost I don't want to pay. Buying organic is awesome, but not when it takes more calories of fossil fuel to transport it than I can derive from the actual food. I want to believe in and love a higher power, but I refuse to accept conditions on that love (Like submitting to my husband, straightening out gay people, converting infidels, ad infinitum) I feel suspicious and cynical, I can't read an article without demanding works cited, I don't believe a bar graph has any pertinent information unless there are error bars. I just don't want to wear blinders for the rest of my life and let a small percentage of society profit from my ignorance.

I can't tell anyone else how to live. I am still figuring out what I can accept as right, but for now I am taking a cue from my man Rowdy Roddy. I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

No comments: